Thursday, January 25, 2007

Getting Lean






I have a friend who is a home workout queen. She’s got all her favorite work out gurus. She contributes to message boards, trades workout dvds with other devotees, has a new dvd mix for every day. She’s got a monster sound system, all the equipment, and loves nothing more than the rush of completing a massively difficult routine. Of course she’s also got a pretty fab body.

I think it says a lot about my own level of commitment to fitness that I am writing this while eating a strawberry frozen yogurt.

Well, I’ve been working to shed off that extra baby weight and I’m pretty darn close. But, I still have a ways to go. So, I’ve been making use of my own little home workout room and FitTV on the TiVo and the result is a menu of work-out choices on any given day to tone my body and melt that fat.

There’s “All Star Workouts.” I started to do one the other day that looked like fun. It combined “easy cardio moves with the added excitement of the exer-ball.” I actually have an exer ball. OK, the last time I used it I was about 8 months pregnant and I laid on it to ease my aching back. So, it hadn’t actually been in active service for awhile. Well, I soon learned that I would not be completing this particular routine…due to lack of use my exer-ball had deflated to the point that when I bounced my butt on it for the first “combination” I practically sat on the floor. It was like trying to bounce on a bean bag chair.

There’s “Gilad…Bodies in Motion.” I have a soft-spot in my heart for Gilad. Back in the day they would air his show during the wee hours on ESPN…so, I would video tape it and workout in the creaky upstairs of my parents’ house. I think I had about 10 square feet in which to work my power moves…but I did it just the same. Gilad’s full body spandex, the hot pink belt, his high-top Reeboks and indeterminate accent…such fun. And I am still motivated by his little catch-phrases…like, “Keep going…you’re getting strong!....Getting lean!!” Yes, Gilad I was! I totally was! So, I was pretty excited when I saw that FitTV had added Gilad back into the line up. I did one of his episodes this week. He was on some beach in Hawaii…he was still in the spandex pants…his mom was right next to him giving a shout out to the retired set…some random baby wandered into the frame…I just love how low tech his stuff is…makes me feel like I’m just working out with friends.

For awhile there I was very into “In Shape with Sharon Mann.” Boy, can she ever kick your butt. But, it was all just getting a little old. All the jumping, the crazy pace, the “fast-jacks”, the “knees up”…it just seemed like such a re-tread lately…and it doesn’t help that she recycles like the same 5 songs over and over and over in all her episodes. She’s still on there…but, we might just need to take a short break. Plus, the last time I did one of her workouts I inadvertently backed up to the point where while doing one of many “fast-jacks” in this particular routine, I smacked my hand on the elliptical machine (more on that instrument of torture later) causing a big bruise. You might say it has made me a little gun shy.

I was feeling a little sluggish so I was very enticed one morning by a show called “Slowrobics.” The same aerobics moves done at like 1/3 the speed. I yawned and thought that 1/3 the speed sounded about right that morning. Well, it may be 30% of the speed but it is at least 100% of the burn. They promised it would provide a cardio work-out and it did. Man, just try squatting about 200 times at half the speed. Jeez, I could barely get out of a chair for the next week.

Of course, there’s the old stand-bys…the elliptical machine and the treadmill. Sometimes I feel kind of energetic and I’ll try some kind of circuit with abs, running and the elliptical. It seems like a good idea until I am about half way in…then I am gasping for air, can barely make that dumb elliptical even move…my butt is in agony and I’m sweating like a pig. Plus, it has some bad energy around it. It was after one of these particularly energetic workouts that some guy I’d gone out with a couple of times “dropped in.” Yeah, I never heard from him again….so, it does bad things to me…it really does.

I guess that all I can say is that I wish I were like my friend and enjoyed working out. It would make it so much easier to strap on the old tennis shoes and haul myself downstairs every day. But, mostly I do it because I don’t want to go out and buy all new clothes (thanks, baby Langston) or have a heart attack at age 40 (leaving Jeff all broken hearted and pathetic…an easy mark for some bimbo to swoop in and raise my son).

So, that’s where I’m at. My next weigh-in is tomorrow. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you liked Bare Minerals products. Check out www.everydayminerals.com. I like them even better!!! It's me, Angela, again.