Thursday, January 18, 2007

Not Much Going On




I feel like I've been here at work forever. I had to get into work at 6:00 today. Totally stinks. We had a photo shoot with our new CFO this morning at 8:00 and the photographers needed someone to let them into the building to set up at 6:00...dang. It's funny but when I had to do stuff like this before it was just a pain in the neck for me. Now it's a pain for Jeff too because he has to get up early to feed Langston and get him ready too. Although, I didn't really give him too much pity...I mean...Jeff was still sleeping when I left, so no tears for you Jeff Holquist. He sent me a note this afternoon to update me that cracked me up..."Langston was his usual happy self this morning until I went to put his outfit on. It went over his head a little more slowly and with a bit more pulling than he really likes so he fussed a bit. The fussing continued through the oatmeal and really didn’t stop until he was able to drink deeply of the delicious elixir that is his formula. He celebrated the completion of the bottle by barfing down daddy’s sleeve." Way to go Langston!

I went to the wrist surgeon yesterday and my left wrist is pretty much better -- I just wear my hard cast at night. The right one is still causing me a lot of trouble so he moved me to a new soft cast for a month and then if there's no improvement he will operate. Apparently solving this kind of thing is a lot of trial and error. He was giving me a lot of, "Huh...so the cortisone shot didn't really help? Well...sometimes they do and sometimes they don't...you just never know...Hmmm...well...we could operate now or we could try the soft cast for awhile and the hard cast at night....I don't know if that will work....but, you could try....what do you think?" Not exactly confidence inspiring. I am not sure how a soft cast will work if a hard cast didn't...but then again, what do I know? I guess time will tell. At least the soft cast is easier to live with.

I am officially a terrible mother. I mean, there have been some subtle hints in that direction (the unbranded formula, the bottles I bought off of ebay labeled "Katie" and "Abby", to name a couple) but yesterday it was confirmed. I was sitting on the couch after work and Langston was laying on the cushion next to me. I was working on my Bible study lesson for the night and needed a pen. I didn't even think...I ran to the kitchen to get a pen...and heard the big thump followed by the crazed screaming of my poor child. Oh my. Oh yes, when I dashed back in the living room there was poor Langston, face down next to the couch, screaming his guts out. I felt SO bad! I could pretty much tell from his cry that he was more scared than hurt...but I gave him a thorough looking over just in case...the whole time Langston continued to scream with this look on his face like, "How could you fail me this way???"

I joined the "biggest loser" at work. Four of us who want to lose weight partnered up to compete for a month. My boss Deb Bailey is my partner (so I nick-named our team BayHo). Last Monday we had the group weigh-in...I've never really openly shared my weight with a group of random people before. But, even though I didn't want to do it (obviously) it was kind of freeing. I mean, honestly, no one really cares about any weight but their own and it just kind of felt honest and open...there was no judgment (at least vocally...I'm sure on the inside they were like, jeez girl...get it together!) and we could all laugh about our own insecurities. At the next weigh in I was that week's "biggest loser" -- yay! Since we each threw in $20...$50 for the winner and $30 for the winner's partner...I am highly motivated to continue this streak. Plus, I've still got 8 pounds to get to pre-baby weight...and I'd like to drop some beyond that as well. I've been working out a lot more and just generally trying to watch what I eat. I've also been making more dinners at home. Even though it's easier to just pick something up on the way home from work, I've found that I eat better if I make it from scratch.

Work is going good. I was just put in charge of a new "cross-functional team" (you've gotta love corporate speak) to plan for Steelcase's 100th anniversary. When is this anniversary you may ask? This year? Next year? Certainly not 2 years from now if you've already started planning....uh...yeah...it's in 2012!!!! Can you imagine? Um...I think that 6 years gives us PLENTY of time to order the t-shirts.

No comments: